Thursday, August 2, 2012

Do-It-Yourself Toy Box

Pinterest.

What an amazing resource!

A while back when looking up ideas for Jocelyn's therapy room, I ran across a blurb about how to convert diaper boxes into a unique toy box. I thought to myself "I could surely do this, and they would be the perfect size to keep toys categorized." I read the "how-to" and kept thinking "there has to be a quicker and easier way!!" Well, I completed two fabric covered toy boxes today during nap time, and it only took me 30 minutes. Uhm, yes, I'm pretty stoked about it and have to brag because nothing I do is ever easy or that quick hahaha!

I totally love them because they are definitely one of a kind! :)

What I used:
2 - Diaper Boxes
2 - Homemade curtain valances (courtesy of Grandma Garlow - and using a valance means that the fabric already has nice smooth, even edges which cuts time in half)
Elmer's Spray Glue (it didn't take much at all)
Several Pieces of white card stock
Scissors

First thing first, I took the diaper box and cut off the top flaps so there was nice even rim. The next thing I did was take the box outside and sprayed each side with glue while pressing on the white card stock. I decided to cover the box in card stock first so that it would hide the writing and colors on the box because I didn't want all of that to show through the lighter pieces of the fabric. I really wasn't pretty with applying the card stock because who cares, it won't be seen.

Here's what the first 2 steps look like.

As a side note, originally we did Jocelyn's baby-room in sock monkey's and we loved it. Now that we are in our new home and have beautiful wooden window blinds, we don't want to hang curtains, but wanted to put the hard work that was put into these to good use.

Here is what the valance looked like prior.

Once the whole box was covered with the card stock, I immediately sprayed the card stock with glue and begin to cover it with the curtain valance. It was so simple, spray one side of the box, apply the fabric, pull tight, turn box, spray again, apply & pull and repeat, repeat, repeat until completely finished. Seriously, so simple.

After all the sides of the box were covered, there was excess fabric above the rim that needed to be folded down, and excess fabric that needed to be tucked underneath.

Here's how I made the slits.

Once I made the slits on top and bottom, I sprayed the cardboard and pressed the remaining fabric over the glue and made it nice and smooth.

Here is one of the boxes all finished.

All that I had to do then was fill the boxes with toys, and since the glue dried so fast, I filled them within 5 minutes.

I had one box for visually/sensory stimulating toys.

And one box for tactile stimulating toys.

I couldn't be more thrilled that this was (a) crazy simple thing to make and (b) only took me about 30 minutes to complete which also meant that I had left over time to do something else before nap time was over! Double score!!

2 comments:

  1. You are such a clever girl.....Kiss Jocelyn for me....love you both Grandma / Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out awesome! Great job Angie you totally rocked it.

    ReplyDelete