Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Lighted Cocoon

One of the swings that we received from the Kansas Deaf/Blind Fund for Jocelyn, is a Joki Swing. There are literally hundreds of different types of therapy swings, but we used this particular one during an OT session and Jocie seemed to really enjoy it, and since we could use the funding, we decided to go ahead and get one.

The purpose for this swing (other than it being a swing and what kiddo doesn't like a swing?) is to produce relaxation, promote security and for us, to provide an enclosed area to assist Jocelyn visually, to enhance vestibular stimulation and so that her toys can't "get away from her."

When you look at the swing in pictures, what you can't see, is that there is a large fluffy, removable cushion that sits in the bottom of the swing. Having a removable seat is necessary for any child in my opinion because I've never met a mess-free kiddo. The only thing that I don't really like about the swing, is that there is no seatbelt or a way to partially seal the opening to keep a child from falling out. I suppose that would defeat the purpose though.

Anyways, I got the idea the other day to try and do something different with this "cocoon" type swing that would be more visually exciting. The thoughts of how I would flip over backwards a million times for a lighted therapy room continued to go through my mind (they are WAY too expensive...like thousands of dollars...so that will never ever happen). So hmmmm, what to do? There is always something you can come up with to resemble something else you got your eye on right? Or at least in an attempt to get the same result?

I mean, look how cool a room like this would be for any kid!!
So today, I strung up Jocelyn's Joki swing from the hooks we put in the ceiling and got out some fun different types of toys that squeaked, that are rubbery, fuzzy, etc to put inside. Before I put her in the swing, I cut a tiny slit towards the top of the swing and threaded through some little baby christmas lights. I had some unused ones packed away, both plain and colored, and thought "hey, this will work great!" Once I got them threaded through, I clipped them around the opening of the swing so she wouldn't get tangled in them. I closed the blinds, turned off the lights and played a Zen CD for some auditory stim too.

Here she is being all curious-like!

Its hard to see the lights and this was before I got them all clipped around the opening of the swing but you get the idea. It really did make the inside of the swing glow in a fun way!

After she was all snug inside and her toys within reach, I gently gave her a push, left the room and snuck in a quick shower. Not too sure what she thought about everything, but I think it was successful nevertheless.

PS - As a side note, this swing has a weight-limit of 175lbs so uhm, just throwing that out there for all you "big kids" that wouldn't mind having a swing like this too! And take it from me, its cozy! :) :)

2 comments:

  1. this is such a neat idea. your such a great mommy, always coming up with new ideas to help Boogie. this one i bet was fun and very visually stimulating for her. gosh i cant wait to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one I will have to see in person to understand, you have even surpassed my imagination with this, I just can not get from the picture or the explanation what you are talking about......

    Can’t wait to see you both

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete