Saturday, August 4, 2012

Birthday

Yesterday I talked about turning the big 'THREE-O' and yep, I'm still excited to be starting my thirties!

I spent most of the day with Jocelyn doing our normal routine, but I also got to talk to a lot of people on the phone, through texts and the infamous social network Facebook. I know some people hate social networks and I can see their point, but its really nice to be able to hear from people that are so far away, drop a quick instant note to let someone know you're thinking about them and on days like your birthday, all your friends and family make you feel...well...like a rockstar! ;)

Thank you for the birthday wishes it made the day very special!

We really didn't have anything planned for the day, other than being together and going out for a nice supper. Well, let me tell you how the evening went.

Justin and I got dressed-up, well casually dressed-up, and planned to head over to Lawrence to try a new seafood restaurant called Anglers that we heard about.

On my big day, I definitely made sure I snapped a picture of me with my love.
 And of course I also had to snap one with our cute little stinky.

Once we were ready to go, we all loaded up in the car and headed over to Lawrence with Mass Street being the destination. We drove down Mass one two three times and still couldn't find this so called Anglers. We had an idea of where it was at and still no luck. While Justin was driving around, I was texting my friend Cherry, and she sent me the address and said she called and they were open until 9pm. So we thought, lets park and go take a look. Turns out there was no sign for Anglers and they had moved...next door. So where is Anglers now? Now Anglers is part of a 3-in-1 restaurant that is called "The Orient, 'Oh Boy! Chicken', Anglers" which basically serves a little bit everything which was not really what we were going for. We were so disappointed. I mean really, who combines Asian, fried chicken and seafood when they were clearly three different restaurants. They even handed you three different menus when you sat down, one for each of the three restaurants.

On top of everything, yesterday was this "3-in-1 restaurant's" grand opening and we were shocked that they even opened with the huge mess and disorganization they had going on inside. We should have left, but we didn't and I'm not sure why we didn't other than it was getting late and we were hungry. The decor inside was comprised of cheap diner furniture, a ridiculously huge 'Oh Boy! Chicken' sign on the wall and tons of Asian influence decorations. I probably sound so snobby, don't mean too, but it definitely gave us a bad first impression, and that first impression did not improve as things carried over through dinner. As Justin mentioned, we felt like we were on an episode of restaurant impossible.

Once we got seated, we ordered drinks. We were going to order tea but the lady said they were out. I thought, "well I can wait for some to be made," and then she told me they were totally out of tea bags. We went to order something else and again they were out of that as well. We quickly saw a theme forming and I kept thinking "isn't this your reopening day?" I told Justin, this is not going to be a good experience. After ordering drinks, I needed to use the restroom and also change Jocie, so I grabbed our stuff and ventured off through the maze that was set for you in order to get to the restroom. The owner and waitress stopped me and a made a big...I mean huge...ordeal about how they didn't have a baby changing station in the bathroom. I told them "I figured that, that's why I have a full-length towel to use" (I carry one in the bag just for things like this). The owner was refusing to let me change her in the bathroom which totally caught me off guard and I wanted say "well what the heck do you want me to do lady?" She then directs me over to a different booth, and insists repeatedly to change Jocelyn right there, in the middle of the restaurant, because it was more comfortable and cleaner for us. Ha! Now, with looking around the place it was pretty much just us (that should've been a big clue), but I couldn't help but think "you really want me to change her diaper where others are eating?" It was a very sweet gesture, and we did change her there, but definitely one of the many odd things I seem to continually experience.

We went ahead and ordered our food, blackened salmon for me and coconut curry chicken for Justin, and the food wasn't completely terrible despite our given first impressions. We had hoped for a relaxing supper with maybe a tasty martini, but we simply tried to eat the food while the waitress apologized for nearly everything (I felt bad for her that she felt the need to make so many apologies as it wasn't her fault). Without a doubt, that will not be a place we go back to again though.

After supper, we decided to stop and grab some frappuccino's from Starbucks, both the caramel coconut and the mocha cookie crumble are both equally delish! While I was getting the drinks, Justin grabbed a Redbox DVD called Casa de mi Padre which starred Will Ferrel. It has Will Ferrel in it, how bad could it be? Double strike out!! hahaha It was all in Spanish with English subtitles and seriously may have been the worst movie we've ever seen.

So all in all, the evening didn't particularly go as planned but come this morning we reenacted our night out and scenes from the movie which provided a lot of comical relief. That's just how we roll! And like I said, I got to be with my loves so no matter what we do, if we do it together, that's all I ever want and need!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but this story just made me giggle so hard. I could only imagine your faces at the chicken/Chinese/seafood place. Episode of restaurant impossible couldn't be more correct I think. Glad your food was Atleast edible. The movie ordel is great. I dunno how many times Kevin and I have downloaded a movie Ll excited to watch only to find out its totally in Russian. Much aha trying to understand is worthless but makes for a good joke later. I think watching at home and dubbing our own words for what we think is being said is the funniest part. Hahaha well as you I'm sure know, nothing ever happens exactly as u hope. But the fact you made the best of what you had and were still happy is all that matters. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we were definitely laughing about it today. Justin wanted to "redeem himself" (which he totally didn't need to do), but tonight he took me to a place called Johnny's Tavern and it was sooooooo good. You're gonna be grossed out, but their Mahi Mahi tacos were fantastic and I had both a French Kiss martini and a dirty one made with Grey Goose. Soooo so so good! :)Feeling pretty spoiled haha

    ReplyDelete