To quickly educate you...
When you have cerebral palsy you typically have hypotonic (weak) or hypertonic (tight) muscles. Jocelyn has a mixture (aren't we lucky? Insert a large amount of sarcasm HERE!). Anyways, Jocelyn has low muscle tone/control of her trunk which means its difficult for her to utilize those abdominal and back muscles normally. This also means that the muscles are weakened on the inside of her body (aka her bowels).
Many people with cerebral palsy have to take some kind of supplement to help them have a bowel movement. Even though Jocelyn gets plenty of free water and lots of fiber in her blenderized diet, she still requires medications such as Miralax or Naturals Calm. We prefer the Naturals Calm because well, its more natural and its not a laxative like the Miralax. Yes, we want her to be able to poo, but we also want her to learn some bowel training so that battle later on might not be so severe.
Anyhue, so there you have it. Jocelyn has trouble with her poo factory. Sometimes we all do, don't deny it, its part of life.
So the point of this little blurb tonight is to let you know that I must REALLY love our daughter! Once in a while she requires an enema like Pedi-lax. I try my best to stay on top of things to prevent having to use these because I don't want her to be dependent on them, but they work fast and I.MEAN.FAST!!!
Tonight wasn't my first rodeo and I know Jocelyn doesn't like getting them. I wouldn't want a piece of plastic rammed up my butt either and then for someone to squirt water in there. Too graphic? Sorry, but this is some true reality folks. Well, this evening, Jocelyn got me back.
Not only did poo-filled Pedi-lax shoot back at me hitting my clothes and face (it was minuscules from my eyes and I'm not completely sure my mouth was closed), but then...THEN...once she was "unplugged" I instantly was covered in a warm waterfall of backed-up poo. How did this happen you ask? Well, after giving the medicine, I often put Jocelyn in a crouching type of position to help her and provide resistance on her tummy so she has something to push her abdominal muscles against since they are weak. This time was oh so special because well, she decided to thank me in her own sweet way. Whatever visual you are now getting, you are more than likely spot on!
Thank you for letting me share this with you so you can be just as grossed out as I was...and still am...you're welcome!
Omg the laughter i just got from this blog just caused me mucho stomache pains. The mental image is both disgusting and hilarious! You give Boogie sooo much she just wanted to return the favor! Hahahahaha
ReplyDeleteShe returned the favor alright!! Poor girl! I hate to do that too her but its better than having a bowel obstruction which happens so often with CP. :s Seriously though, your story that you texted me about Tank is nearly as bad but I loved thinking of his lil nekkid butt running around the livingroom spraying his stinky poo hahaha I know its only funny now, but I probably would've laughed then too!!!
DeleteUmm... gross. But way less gross because it is your own kid. Now if it were someone else - different story!
ReplyDeleteSort of related but not really:
This reminds me of one time when Jared and I both worked on the same floor. We were working a night shift and another newbie coworker asked us to go help her give a lactulose enema. We went along. It was this 30 year-old guy that was going through major alcohol withdrawals and was completely out of it. We got the tube inserted (needing all 3 of us) and the guy started grinding and hard-core humping into the tube with his butt - like really getting into it - moaning and everything. I am pretty sure I have never laughed so hard while with a patient EVER. It was the laughing-harder-because-you-know-you-shouldn't kind of laugh. We were all laughing in tears. And then to make matters worse, he humped against it another time and thrusted the tube entirely out. I happened to have lifted a pillow off the bed for some reason... thank God or the poo liquid would have covered me from my neck down.
Thank God you are a nurse, Angie! Weaker stomaches might not be able to handle your night tonight. :)
hahahahahahahahahahaha I don't EVEN KNOW WHAT TO SAY!!! hahahahahaha my eyes are seriously watering from laughing so hard! I thought about how this lil experience with Boogie isn't really a big deal once you’re a nurse, but what you just described, that is over the top!!! I have never experienced that and I'm afraid I would be both mortified and yet laugh just like you because you shouldn't which makes it even harder NOT to laugh. I mean, what do you do??? hahahahahaha Oh Vanessa, I needed that good laugh tonight...so funny! And you are right, having my own daughters poo particles all over me, and quite possibly in my mouth, is NOTHING like a strangers!!!! hahahahaha I love you! You and Jared are the best!
DeleteOMG it hurts to laugh so bad right now.. im certain i just tore a few stitches.. im glad i waited till this morning to read this reply or im certain my dreams last night would have been very interesting.. lol lord am i glad im not a nurse!
Delete