Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Family Things

Our last days of September, and first week in October, have been filled with traveling, family and fun.

After Justin got off work on Saturday {that made him working 14 days straight :|}, we finished the remaining, daunting task of packing our stuff which actually meant all of Boogies stuff. It's ludicrous how much we have to pack for her! Once we were all finished and the fab van was packed by none other than the master car organizer Jib-tastic, we were on the road for Wellington and Winfield.

Once we got into Wichita, we took Jocelyn's poor busted iPad to the Apple shop to see what they could do for us. Not only is the iPad glass broken, but so is the screen itself. I guess that makes everything much more complicated -- meaning more $$$$$! Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised ... I know, I know ... but I said HOPEFULLY!

After the quick computer shop stop, we found ourselves at the new casino between Wichita and Wellington. For a little bit of fun, we stopped and spent some money. Here's my handsome fella ... don't let him fool you, he only lost $5!! Ha!
When we arrived to Justin's moms' house, we had a nice relaxing evening with a yummy home-cooked meal. Isn't that the best?

We all turned in early Saturday night after a busy day of work, traveling and all the normal stuff. Sunday was quite the interesting day for us though. We tried a new protein source (walnuts) in Jocelyn's blenderized diet and it was an epic fail!!!!! In fact, we had our first clogged Mic-Key button! We tried several things and nothing ... nothing! ... was working to unclog that sucker!! We could not believe out of everything we've given her ... mixed nuts, almonds, pistachios, sunflower seeds ... that walnuts would have clogged the balloon??? What??!!!

We ended up having to entirely remove the Mic-Key button, cleaned the entrance and exit of the whole device, and then reinsert the balloon. Talk about a borderline freak-out session!! Personally, I was afraid we were going to be too rough, puncture the whole thing and then be SOL! Luckily, the whole operation was successful! As you can imagine, all that food was dumped and a new batch of "walnut free" food was made for the remaining meal(s).

LESSON LEARNED!!

On Sunday, Grandma and Grandpa Garlow were very sweet and took care of Jocelyn for a few hours that afternoon while Justin and I went out for a matinee. We never get to go to the movies, and we should more often, because it really was pretty wonderful! We went into Wichita and watched the new Resident Evil: Retribution movie which continually scared the ba-jezzus outta me! There was nearly no one in there, oh...except the crazy "worse-father-of-the-year" who brought his 3 or 4 year-old ... oh, and the lady that brought her baby. Trust me, I was literally jumping out of my seat at times, so this was definitely not a movie for a little one. I felt so bad for the little boy because he kept crying and saying "I want to go home daddy ... this is scary." Poor kid, he's guaranteed to be scarred for life!

Grandma and Jocelyn had fun together!
On Monday, before we got to see Papa and Nana Powers, we had a fun day with just the three of us. It was a beautiful Monday morning, so we took Jocelyn on a trike ride and stopped at a school playground so she could take a break and swing. Once we got some exercise in and loaded up the van again, we headed for Towne East Mall in Wichita. While Justin and Jocelyn took off through the mall, I made a quick stop at the JCPenny salon {its been a long time since I've had a hair cut}.
 
The salon was able to get me right in with the sweetest lady. I told her I just wanted a trim with a few layers, and not to worry about styling it. The beautician was fabulous with washing my hair and even gave me goosebumps! As we chatted about our kids, husband and life -- I learned she came to America about 20 years ago, learned English and a lot of other things about the Hispanic culture. She really was the nicest person ... one of those beautiful on both the inside and outside type of people! After she gave me a fabulous haircut, she asked "do you ever straighten your hair?" I said "yes" and she replied "well here, let me just pamper you and do it for you." Usually I hate someone trying to style my hair {I say 'try' because it always looks terrible} and getting your hair styled typically cost more. The lady was so genuine that I figured what the heck, and she did a really good job. After we are all through, I stood at the counter ready to pay. She handed me my ticket and said "thank you ... its no charge today ... I hope your day is spectacular!" I looked at her obviously confused, and that's when she proceeded to tell me that once a month they are allowed to do a "hair service" free of charge to someone and she choose me. I was in disbelief and felt so loved ... I hugged her, said 'thank you' repeatedly and of course cried. The whole time this lady was doing my hair, I never once felt like I was inconveniencing her or not the center of her attention. She knew the definition of customer service, sincerity, courtesy and probably has absolutely no idea how wonderfully special she made me feel.
 
After we were finished at the mall it was time for some lunch. We ventured over to On The Border {a dear friend of mine gave me a free queso dip coupon a month ago and it was begging to be used ... thank you Terri Rowe!!}. While sitting out on the deck of the restaurant, Jocelyn got her blenderized meal while Justin and I chowed down on some chips, salsa, queso, guacamole and washed it all down with some super saucy margaritas!! It was a wonderful afternoon!
 
Once we knew Papa and Nana were home from work, we headed to Winfield to spend some time with them. Poor Papa was going to be having pretty major back surgery the next day (Tuesday), so Boogie needed to give some much needed love and sprinkle her magical fearless powder on him! We of course had a great evening with sporadic cases of telling Papa to relax, go take his Hibiclens shower, go to bed and so forth {do you think he listened? NO!}.
 
The morning of Papa's back surgery, daddy went with him and Nana while Jocie and I stayed back at the house. Hospitals are not a fun place to be to begin with, but they are also a cesspool of germies and our little princess didn't need to be getting sick.
 
After the surgery, Jocelyn and I went up to the hospital to see how Papa was doing. When we got into the room Jocelyn kept staring at him and actually looked concerned ... something we haven't really seen before.

After the surgery, Papa was in good spirits and even with the heavy pain meds on board, somehow he didn't lose his sarcasm :)! Nana and Jocie thought singing might be a good idea as you an see hahaha ... okay, so they weren't singing, but I think they wanted too!

It was so nice seeing family, having some down time and thankful Papa's surgery went smoothly.

Next adventure?

Preschool starts today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment