Friday, October 19, 2012

A Little Bit of Spice & Preschool

After nap time yesterday, Jocie and I were going to take off for a run in the jogging stroller (we have a race this Saturday at the Maple Leaf Festival bright and early), but uh, it was crazy cold out and the wind had a major bite! I'm hoping come Saturday, that if it's going to be cold, that maybe we can get lucky and there will be no wind.

So instead of a run, we had a Fall spice painting party!!

During nap time I decided to make some pumpkin pies. It smelled so deliciously yummy in the house, that I thought Jocie might want to do a smellrific activity herself! :)
{My 1st homemade pumpkin pies turned out good! :) I only have one glass pie pan though -- go figure. Oh well, I found a dish that was close to a pie dish and it worked great! I can't believe how good they tasted.}
Not every spice we played with was a "Fallish" type of spice, but some of the good ones were cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, pumpkin, chili powder, chai tea and coffee. The other spices were fennel, turmeric, dill, mustard and cumin. Jocelyn wasn't a big fan of the coffee -- shocker, and the chili powder definitely made her sneeze and then she'd laugh. Too cute!
When we got started I couldn't decide how or what to use. I got out two different types of glue (even spray glue which wasn't the best idea), foam sponges, different spoon-type things for scooping, etc and none of that really worked well. Jocelyn kept reminding me that using our hands and getting messy is far better than anything else.
{After some encouraging, she participated and I think enjoyed all the different smells. It helps when you smell it first, make a big deal about it, be over-the-top goofy and then let her try. Encouragement helps us all doesn't it?}
This little craft was a bit messy but at least it was a good kind of aromatic fun. Justin came home shortly after we were finished and was like "It smells good in here ... kind of like pumpkin pie mixed with a lot of other stuff." Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! haha At least he noticed! :)
 
In other news, Jocelyn will have one more week of preschool and then we will be removing her from a paid-based preschool and into a structured home-based preschool. I didn't want to wait the full month to withdrawal Jocelyn, but with Justin's influence and the fact that we've paid for a full month, I agreed to wait.
 
While watching Jocelyn at preschool yesterday, I was able to talk to my good friend Carrie (it has been FAR too long since we've chatted or seen each other), but she was so sweet to let me vent and discuss my desires, fears and ideas. After we were finished talking, I had never felt so determined, at peace and sure of my next step.
 
Seeing how Carrie has been successful at preschool with her oldest daughter, she directed me to www.abcjesuslovesme.com. Before I made those pumpkin pies during nap time, I poured myself into this website. Prior to putting Jocelyn into an outside preschool, I know that I did a lot for her (and I'm definitely sure of this now), but found myself needing some structured educational-type guidance or a curriculum of some sort. 
 
As I dissected this website I became increasingly excited!!! This site is so simple to use, has everything laid out for you, explains and directs you in the curriculum step-by-step, its FREE, things can be easily adapted, gives you guidance yet flexibility and the best thing? Its Jesus based!!! When so much is laid before you, it's easy to forget that although its important to invest in Jocelyn's physical life, her spiritual life is what is of far greater importance. We will all lose our bodies one day, they will fail us, they will wither -- the only thing that can remain strong, and get stronger over time, is our spiritual life. 
 
I finally realized yesterday what my struggle has been all along. It's difficult to try and teach a person when you are not getting feedback that they understand, comprehend and are able to demonstrate that they are truly "getting it." So here was the problem - we work with Jocelyn in regards to all things physical, visually try to help her and of course also provide educational elements. 
 
When you are working on so many facets of a persons life, and not seeing much progress in those areas, its easy to become discouraged and wonder why your even trying. But here's the thing, Jocelyn will NEVER get the one-on-one that I can and will provide while simultaneously providing a wide range of repositioning/strengthening needs. At home we can go at any pace we desire, take a break whenever needed, there will be consistency, we can learn sitting in the wheelchair, in the stander, in the walker and so forth.
 
And the thing that was the most liberating for me?
 
All I can do, is try my very best!! Try my best to provide all the learning and socializing opportunities that I can, and be intentional with my actions every step of the way. It is not my job to MAKE Jocelyn learn -- NO BODY CAN DO THAT!
 
It is however my job to give Jocie the resources to learn, foster a learning atmosphere, adapt anything and everything so that she has the opportunity to learn in the best manner possible, to be positive and encouraging, to be flexible, constantly learn myself, adjust teaching techniques when necessary, and allow someone to guide and help me when needed.
 
Who knows what we will do in the future? We may try a different preschool later on or when Jocelyn is older, but for now, we have a clear game plan that I am VERY excited to start!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment