Since Baldwin City is a little over 45 minutes, I knew ahead of time that Jocelyn and I were going to have to be up and at it early so that we could eat breakfast and get there in time for registration.
Lucky for me (ONLY on occasions like this), Jocelyn was up and ready to go at 5:15am and I didn't have to feel bad about waking her early.
![]() |
| {She looks guilty early in the morning}
|
![]() |
| {This was Jocelyn 5 minutes into the car ride. Apparently she was giving me the message that I was on my own! I'm thinking the extra clothes and daddy's blanket made the magic comfy combo.} |
![]() |
| {Whooo's Whooo's cute? Yep, Jocie} |
This course had massive divots, holes in fact, mounds of grass and crazy slippery, muddy hills. At first I thought, "maybe this won't be as bumpy as I'm thinking and who knows, it might be nice pushing a stroller in grass." Wrong -- wrong -- WRONG!!
We got about a quarter into our first mile and I had to stop! Jocelyn has pretty good head control now, but it's still not super awesome when in motion. She was being tossed all around inside that stroller even with being belted in and snugged down with a big blanket.
Initially I was kind of ticked off because I specifically asked the guy who was in charge of this race if a stroller would be appropriate for this course, and he was like, "Oh definitely!" Either he has no concept of pushing a jogging stroller while running, or he outright lied to gain another race entry.
So ultimately I "donated" my race fee to the Baldwin Wrestlers, but no matter, I chalked it up to lesson learned and we left the golf course and did our own 5K. :)
After we were finished with our own "race," we had some time to kill before riding the horses, so we chillaxed in the back of the van and watched Mickey Mouse Clubhouse while eating grapes!
![]() |
| {Mickey Mouse is one exciting little dude!} |
![]() |
| {Here I was trying to get a "smiling" picture & Jocie was hammin' it up!!! Love it -- she's always showing me the way!} |





sorry the run was a bit of a bust. im surprised they had you guys running on a crappy golf course. sounds like you made the most of your morning anyways though.. i love seeing the pics of boogie and you. looks like she enjoyed just gettin to hang with mommy and watch some mickey mouse haha.
ReplyDeleteYea, it was ... Oh well I guess :s I emailed the guy about my disatification about the whole thing. He said he'd put that on the flyer for next year ... Pppffffttttt! It still was a great morning and got to ride for longer than normal for the same price! Woohoo!
DeleteGreat pictures. She really looks like you :) She has the sweetest smile
ReplyDeleteBeen thinking about your family a lot lately as the adoption process gets going. I saw a young boy with CP on the website that K and I just fell in love with. He's older the Jocelyn but sounds a lot like her in abilities. Also with a great smile. I'm not sure what will happen with this particular child because the process is just starting. But I've never been more excited and scared to death at the same time. This is one time according to the adoption counselor that my own disability may work in my favor. How odd is that?
Laura
Thank u! It's hard to see yourself in someone else I think haha. I ADORE her smile ... It's what keeps me going! I'm excited for u with the whole adoption thing ... U would be a PERFECT mama and especially for a kiddo that needs extra love n support to build their abilities!!! I so hope u keep me updated!
DeleteI'm not sure if you know Tina, but she is a woman that has had CP all her life, went through 2 pregnancies and in the process of raising two wonderful children. Here is a post about her experiences that I thought you might like?
Deletehttp://livingcerebralpalsy.com/dinky-diaper-duty-and-disability/
and
http://livingcerebralpalsy.com/she-is-mobile/
Talk to you later :)