Special Parent & Respite Kare for Kids
SPARKK is a special program sponsored by the TARC Children's Services (ie the Infant Child Development) and the Shawnee County CDDO. This special program ... or actually its a respite care program to be exact ... functions because both TARC staff members and other volunteers, offer their time, talent and love to ensure a safe, fun place every other Friday night for children with disabilities or delays.
Those families that qualify (meaning the parents have a child with disabilities or delays) can utilize the SPARKK program once per month, from 5:30pm-9pm for only $5.00 per child. The icing on the cake for some families is that SPARKK also welcomes siblings which means the parents truly get a BREAK!
Of course prior to getting to use this program there is an application/enrollment process with lots of additional information provided so whoever cares for your child, knows them as well as they can prior having them under their watch.
During a kiddos stay, the staff offers fun activities, supper, access to an enclosed playground for kids of all abilities, lots of toys and many other types of support.
Why do I sound like I'm making a PSA? Its because for the very first time, this mama-bear utilized this program tonight!!!!!
Can we say -- way to take a huuuuuge step mama?!?!
Even though Justin and I could have actually went out to dinner BY OURSELVES for once, we didn't. Justin had to fly tonight so that was definitely not happening, and since he was not going to be around I originally had thought, "why bother taking her when its just gonna be me," and then immediately thought "well, why not?"
So tonight was our big night of separation! When I say first night of separation, I'm talking about this is the very first time that all three of us have been apart from each other!!! There have been maybe three occasions where the grandparents have watched Jocelyn for a few hours and we have went to a movie, but that's it. When Jocelyn went to preschool I didn't even leave, and here I was planning on dropping her off, providing some last minute directions, giving her some mama kisses and then walking.out.the.door!!!
I am proud to announce that I did just that --
I LEFT!!!
I LEFT!!!
I have to say though, the staff made me feel so at ease with their knowledge, enthusiasm, energy and confidence that I felt GOOD about leaving her there -- you just can't buy that folks!
The plan was just to leave Jocelyn for 1-1.5 hours since it was her first time, and because I would need to feed her supper (with it being her first time, I didn't want the staff to feed her via g-tube right away).
So what did I do for my 1.5 hours of freedom?
I went to Barnes & Nobles for Starbucks and some book shopping -- ALONE!!!
When I got back to pick up Jocelyn, everyone was gushing over all the stuff they did, how Jocelyn loved the swings and toys on the playground, being read too, how much fun she had -- which was very obvious!
![]() |
| {She was sooooo wound up! Made it smile!} |
I would be lair if I said I didn't have moments of brief panic or worry during the time Jocelyn was at SPARKK, and especially when I realized that I didn't put their phone number in my address book. When I was browsing the books it dawned on me that I didn't have their number and I thought "Oh my gosh, what if I need to tell them something?" But seriously, what would I honestly need to call them about in that short period of time? That's right -- NOTHING! Just being an anxious, protective mama, but who can blame me.
This is a program we will definitely be using again and maybe we will shoot for a full 2 hours next time? Who knows, daddy might even be able to enjoy time with me as well? I'm excited just thinking about it and thats a great feeling!! :)
I'm beyong grateful for the SPARKK program - such a blessing!!!


Wonderful......I'm so happy for you, felt a little like skipping school didn't it?.....I love all of you
ReplyDeleteMom
hahaha it kinda did!!! The one lady that superheads the program has been working with special needs adults/kids since she was a young teenager and it shows. She has the most amazing personality and isn't intimidated which c'mon, is easy to feel that way around adults & kids with so many "needs." I'd say experience has helped her immensely. Once I walked out of the building I was like "oh my gosh...what am I doing???" hahaha It was totally fine though and actually went really fast! :) Very happy I did it! :)
Deletethis program is so freaking awesome.. what a blessing to have such amazing people who give their free time to help others who rarely have a moment alone.. its truly the small lil moments you have to reflect and just be alone that are awesome. im glad you enjoyed yourself.. you deserve the lil "me" moment to yourself.
ReplyDeleteThis program really is pretty awesome! Wish every county had the opportunity for this -- feeling pretty fortuante we do!! Talking to you helped take my mind off leaving her right away hahaha - thank you! Love you!
DeleteThat is exactly why I do weekend care for a few of the people I watch for once and while. Like this weekend. I have help. this weekend K is here too but we are exhausted. Little guys Dad and brother never ever get a weekend to because it's hard to find care that Dad can trust. We started out with a few hours one friday and now I've done 2 weekends so they can do stuff just the 2 of em. Did I mention we are TIRED but he seems to be comfortable here and I know Dad looks like a whole new guy when he comes to get him on Sunday morning. He hasn't called as many times this weekend either! I'm so glad you and Jocelyn both enjoyed yourselves!!! Maybe next time Hubby can take you to dinner :)
ReplyDeleteL