Wednesday, November 7, 2012

YWCA

... or actually is now Berkshire's Great Life Golf & Fitness and they gained a few new members ... US!

Well, at least for a little while anyways! :)

This last Monday our infant child development (TARC) gave us a free, temporary membership to the YWCA (we will have to give back the card once Boogie graduates for the program at three). But uhm, HELLO!!
Does that not totally rock???

This means that I can take Jocelyn to get her cardio on during open swim more than once per week. Prior to receiving this membership, we have been using the free open swim time at the Easter Seals Capper Foundation which they so graciously provide every Wednesday from 4-6pm. I'm so excited to have the opportunity to take Jocelyn more often and not have to pay a big membership fee just so she can swim.

Normally Jocie loves the water and its a great way (actually pretty much the only way) she can get her heart rate up on her own (from something else other than crying). So on Monday we had our first swim/therapy session at the pool with our therapist/coach/friend :) and revamped a few of our exercises.

Today, we went again and Jocie was a serious cranky pants crying virtually the whole time. It echos really bad in an indoor pool so that only made my ears what to bleed, and apparently bothered some of the older woman that were finishing up their workout session. They got a workout in, can't we? There is a reason for "adult swim" vs "open swim" ... so that kids and whoever else can come to play and yes, that does mean there's going to be noise people.

So anyways, Jocie was mad about swimming in general and especially when I incorporated a few therapy exercises. This one lady goes out of her way to say "you know, a GOOD mother would see that their child is upset and doesn't want to exercise." Initially I kind of wanted to snatch her by her hair and pull her in and under the water, but instead, I told her "I would advise you to mind your own business" (of course my eyes squinted and then the raised eyebrows came out like "I wish you woooooould say something else"). As we stood there starring at one another (I'm not sure what she expected), I then told her "We're done ... move along" as I motioned her to get away from us with my hand. I wasn't trying to flip the "bitch switch" but geez, you obviously have no idea what you are talking about and definitely do not know our situation. So thanks, but no thanks ... keep whatever wee little motherly advice to yourself.  As my friend said today, there is just zero respect these days. I'm sure if you ask her though, I was the disrespectful one!

Yes, Jocelyn was a crabby-patty today, BUT -- I got her sitting on the pool stairs nearly chest deep, ON HER OWN, while simulating a mini tsunami. No joke, after I noticed how stable she was and how well she was accommodating to the little waves and not trying to inhale the water, I upped the ante and got after making her work really hard. You'd be surprised that she actually LIKED that portion of our pool trip. I think she just enjoys watching mama be silly!

Even with the crying, we had a relativity successful therapy/play session and that lady can kiss my butt! If I stopped everytime Jocie balked, then we would never do anything or make any progress. I'm sure Jocelyn was tired ... she's always tired ... for good reason. If you little Ms. Nosey-Pants-Lady had to work hard to see, communicate or move any part of your body -- you'd be exhausted all the time too and not want to do anything. Lucky for Jocelyn, I love her enough to push her to do what she doesn't want to, yet balance that with love and support. I'm not a hard ass all the time!

Towards the end of our swimming session, a big group of older special needs kids and adults joined in the pool. It was actually a nice surprise. I can see why the everyday person might be uncomfortable around people with disabilities. The group was a good mixture of various types of people - one had Down's and a missing leg, another appeared autistic and made a variety of loud, sharp, repetitive noises; another had what seemed like cerebral palsy perhaps and several other types of people. There was one teenager that was very intrigued by us and wanted to stand/swim really, really close to us. I was almost uncomfortable, but he wasn't doing anything wrong, he just kept saying "baby - theres baby" and in return Jocelyn would furrow her brows like "what the heck ... who are you buddy" which then led to laughter when he let out some kind of weird noise.

I'm pretty blessed and today, I'm thankful that my mind and heart have been opened over the last 2 1/2 years, and extremely grateful for generosities like being given a gym pass so little miss ball-of-tears can swim more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment