Friday, June 1, 2012

Shoot and Shock!

It's been quite some time since I've written ANYTHING and yet I THINK about blogging quite often! So, to spare you all the mundane details, I'll just pick up with whats going on right now and chat it up with you as life happens, or whatever spills out from my little head :)

The last 24hrs have been a whirlwind for Jocelyn and I. Last night we had a sweet woman named Jan Wilson take "beauty" shots and "action" shots of Boogie swimming in the pool. Jan asked us if we would be willing to participate in her efforts of showcasing some of the children that receive services from the Salina Infant Child Development (ICD) program.  We have such a strong love for our family at the Salina ICD that we didn't give it any thought at all and in fact, it was such an honor for them to even ask us if we wanted to be involved. These pictures, along with numerous other kiddos, will be on display as art in the new ICD building come mid-June! Pretty excited to share our little stinky with others. As an added bonus, Jan informed us that we would get free copies of these pictures. I'll have to post them when they arrive.

Jocie is so hilarious in the water and loves every minute of it as you can see below, so it was only natural to catch her doing this type of therapy.
{This was from last summer and man has she ever changed!!}
 
Then today, we spent about 2hrs doing physical therapy which included learning how to use a Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation Unit (aka E-Stim) on Jocie. This type of therapy isn't difficult to do, but there was some learning involved, picking which muscle sites to attack, what parameters best suited her and so forth. And well lets face it, I'm not a therapist, new machinery can be intimidating and this thing was NOT cheap! The purpose of E-Stim is to send electrical impulses to the muscles that are not being activated appropriately or at all. The goal is that the contraction/relaxation of the muscles will begin to register in the brain and start functioning/firing as needed. The perk for us? Jocie seems to really enjoy it!!! THANK GOODNESS!!! The funniest and unexpected part is her inquisitive face when she's receiving the shock...so funny! She puckers her lips and almost does a silent "oooooh oooooh" hahaha.

Below are pictures of 2 of the areas that she will be getting E-Stim every other day. As of right now we are targeting 3 different muscle groups for no more than 20 minutes at a time. Of course if that length of time isn't tolerable, then I'll just adjust accordingly.
{This set-up is intended to target Jocelyn's oblique muscles)
 
{Whereas here, the target area are her adductor muscles}
 
I gotta tell ya, thank goodness for cameras because there is so much to remember nowadays, that its really difficult to keep things straight. Funny, before being a mother, all my co-workers use to tell me I was "so sharp," "Johnny-on-it," "quick and precise"....sigh....those days are LONG gone hahaha!!! That's okay though, I've been called to put my life to different use! :)

3 comments:

  1. My sweet Jocelyn, just as your name means you are more happy, joyful, and precious to us than the stars in the heavens, I am so thankful that you have been given such a wonderful Mom & Dad that love you more than life itself, and it shows in their every action. I will always love you more than you will ever know.... Love Grandma Schneweis

    ReplyDelete
  2. i <3 <3 <3 this sweet baby girl! she is more amazing every day with more strength and effort than i see in many most days. she couldn't be more blessed to have such an amazing mommy that's so willing to dedicate every ounce of her being to help her grow. you are are wonderful Angie.. im proud to know you are my sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you both so much!!! Thank you for all the sweet and encouraging things you say! I'm SO LUCKY to have been blessed with such an incredible mother and sister! Truly I don't know what I would do without either of you.

    ReplyDelete