Monday, June 11, 2012

Entryway Organizer

One of the projects I recently tackled to get more organized, was to come up with an idea for a unique entryway organizer. I looked and looked online for something that tripped my trigger and after days of looking, I realized I wasn't going to be satisfied until I came up with my own. Its funny how annoying it can be when your keys have gone awol, you don't have a home for loose change, etc. So I thought today is the day to come up with something and get it done!
One of my favorite places to go for crafty things is of course Hobby Lobby. I probably could be in that store for hours on in, and its the perfect place to play with Jocie. She went from playing with fluffy bright boas, to assorted pinwheels, to funky furs, to endless flowers...it was fun yet distracting from my original plan for going (oh well, seeing Jocie learn and have fun is a welcomed distraction I suppose).

So bottom line...

I went to look for something I could re-purpose into an entryway organizer. After about 45 minutes I found what I needed (not bad when you are easily distracted and entertained by the littlest things). The final results were 1 wooden box, 1 can of spray paint, a big letter 'P', plastic hanging hooks and these nifty little brown boxes. Grand total for the project? $20!!! Woohoo!!!!

Here is the seriously BRIGHT green box I found and it was even 1/2 off!!! Say what, what??



Before beginning I drilled 2 holes through the back so I could thread the hemp twine that you see already attached. Next I attached the plastic hooks. You could get really fancy with fun knob-type things, but these were cheap and I knew they'd work well.


After all that, I spray painted everything, painted and attached the letter 'P' on the front of the box and glued the four light-weight little brown boxes (these things were only $0.99 each!!).

Here is the final results!!!!!



Gotta be honest, I'm pretty surprise it all turned out and is actually functional hahaha! Now all we have to do is USE IT!!!

3 comments:

  1. i think this is an awesome idea.. my hubby and i always seem to lose our keys so having something by the door to hang them on is soooo useful.. i had purchased a rly nice hanging organizer thing that has hooks for keys and slots for mail but it was pricey and has nothing for all the random change to go in.. i think your trip to hobby lobby was def a productive one. now i wanna make a nifty organizer too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did want something for mail, etc too....but then thought I could always put something like "tp pay" or "outgoing mail" and so forth in the computer room. That's what made me end up making something because everything I found was pricey and I got to do something fun and make something. ;) glad u like it...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soooooo, now that we are almost all settled in the house, I decided I totally don't like this thing and just threw it away! How wasteful is THAT??!!! Its just so much bigger than I planned for it too be :s

    ReplyDelete