Friday, September 20, 2013

Turmeric Love

Ok, so this week has been BUSY it seems.

I mean REALLY busy.

Today, after Jocelyn and I got home from our speech and physical therapy appointments, as I fed her lunch and she munched on some pudding, I figured it was "Pamper Angie" time.

I made myself a DELICIOUSELY creamy green smoothie:
  • 2 cups fresh spinach
  • 1 large frozen banana
  • 3 cold clementine's
  • 1/2 large avocado
  • 1 packet of Stevia
  • 2 cups cold water
I blended the yumminess up and thoroughly enjoyed my dessert for lunch. I know there are A LOT of people that don't like avocado, but what an avocado does in a smoothie?
         
         IT'S AMAZING!

I love the taste of avocado, but you can't taste it in a smoothie. What you do taste, is creaminess. An avocado gives a smoothie the texture that ice cream does, only better for you! And another plus besides an avocado having fiber, vitamins and minerals ... is that the good healthy fats in the avocado actually sustains you for a long time while filling you up! I hear a lot of people say "fat makes me fat" ... not true!

So yea, I indulged in a good lunch and then after I laid Jocie down for a nap, I decided to treat myself to a face mask to make myself more beautified hahaha

I came across this site called The Gingerbread Blog and she talked about making a Turmeric facial mask to reduce redness and blemishes from under the skin.

Turmeric is arguably the World's Most Healthiest Foods.
     And for good reason!

I adore turmeric as a spice and its beneficial properties, but I also have a red face so I figured I'd try it. I've always been kind of a "red skinned person" I suppose, and my cheeks are surely the most red. And trust me, they aren't that pretty "pinky" color either. We're talkin' that ugly rashy look as if my hubby rubbed his 5 o'clock shadow beard all over my face! hahaha.

Turmeric is sometimes under used I think because when people have tried it (this particular spice or a curry dish that has turmeric in it), they are often turned off because the food itself had such a strong flavor to it or "smelled funny." When used appropriately, or in moderation, its an excellent spice to incorporate into the diet.

For Jocelyn, and myself, I add 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric plus 1/4 teaspoon of oil (fish, EEVO or coconut oil) and about 1/8 teaspoon of black pepper to her blended food.
 
YOU CAN NOT TASTE ANY OF THESE THREE SPICES!
 
          In case your wondering, the oil & black pepper are essential because they help your body absorb the nutrients that make turmeric good for you! :)

What is Turmeric?
          Turmeric comes from the root of the Curcuma longa plant and is a spice that has a peppery, warm and bitter flavor. Mild in fragrance and very orange in appearance. Its a spice that is excessively used in Indian foods like curry and its also the spice that gives mustard its bright yellow color. Its easy to use turmeric as a condiment, but its also frequently used in healing remedies and textile dyes.

Why would someone even want to eat or use Turmeric?
          Turmeric has forever been used as a potent anti-inflammatory in both the Chinese and Indian systems of medicine for conditions like bruises, toothaches, chest pains, hemorrhage or menstrual difficulties (because of its helpful circulation properties), inflammatory bowel, rheumatoid arthritis, cancer prevention (because of its ability to inhibit cancer cell growth and metastases), colic and flatulence. This spice has been shown to improve liver function, cardiovascular protection and even protection against Alzheimer's Disease (and seeing how this runs in my family, I'm even more interested in reaping the benefits of this spice).

          Really, the usage of this spice seems endless.

So, how can EVERYONE indulge in Turmeric face mask?
          All you need is the following:
                    
                     2 teaspoons of Turmeric
                     2-3 teaspoons of milk (use enough to have a watery/pasty consistency)
***I used whole milk. I had it in the fridge and it's has fatty, calming properties.
                     Once stirred, apply a thin layer to your face (do your neck too if you'd like).
 
And don't be skeeeerd! It may look like baby poo, but its not :)
                     Kick back with your sexy self, drink a lovely beverage, flip through the channels, open your favorite book but most importantly .......
 
RELAX!
 
And be sure to know, you are a sexy beast!
 
After a few minutes, the mask will start to shrink and harden.
Your face will feel tight like a rubber band and you'll see a bazillion wrinkles!
At that point, you are ready to scrub and rinse.
My face is make-up-less & shiny -- but in a good way :)
If any of you are like me, I don't really get the luxury of going out for a movie, hitting up a fun concert, cheering and sweating my butt off at a game or many of those types of things. Because of the hand we've been dealt in life, I find (and we as a family for that matter), find different ways to treat ourselves.
 
This is an inexpensive way to pamper yourself. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment