Justin bought some thoroughly disgusting $1 pot pies the other day because he "just had to have one," and the whole time that thing was cooking (which was forever), he was like a giddy school girl and going on and on about how good it was going to be. Mind you, he made one for me too and I was equally as excited -- NOT! So, being the wonderfully thoughtful wife I am, I saw this recipe on a girlfriends Pinterest wall (thanks Amber for finding the fun, tasty stuff) and decided to make it tonight. I'll have to let you know how all of it turns out! :)
When Jocie and I went grocery shopping yesterday, we tried something a little different. Seeing how this last Botox session has made Jocie like a cooked noodle, sitting in the shopping cart is extremely difficult for her. Sitting in the shopping cart is also more of a challenge since I lost the black foam-type seat thingy the Lawrence Infant Child Development made for me that helped keep her planted in one place (I'm pretty upset I left it in the shopping cart a few weeks back). But anyways, the last time we went to the store, it was very difficult for us both and I knew I couldn't do that again seeing how I physically had to carry her the whole time and about broke my back :|!! So yesterday I put Boogie in her wheelchair and decided I would try pushing her and pulling the shopping cart behind me as we did our shopping. To my surprise it went really well. We drew an audience and watchful eyes from time to time, but I didn't have to kill myself trying to help her sit or by holding her, she was positioned well and she seemed to be having a good time which was evident by her endless giggling (she loves going to the store because she gets to touch everything -- or at least I try to get her too! The produce section is an awesome place for talking about colors, smells, textures, sizes, same/different concepts, etc!).
In other news we are actually -- shockingly -- and some may say finally!
~*~***STARTING PRESCHOOL***~*~
Yep! You read that right. We are beginning "official" preschool next week on Wednesday October 4th at the Easter Seals Capper Foundation Kidlink program. I am sure you can all imagine how difficult this is going to be for me. I must have completely and utterly lost my mind!!!
We never had any intentions of putting Jocelyn in preschool (neither Justin nor I ever went to preschool and we turned out just fine ... I think :P). Our decision to enroll Jocelyn in a preschool program is not one we intended to do as we actually have been leaning more and more towards homeschooling rather than public school. Even though we are trying preschool, homeschooling is very much still in the forefront of our minds, but here are some reasons we've decided to try preschool outside of the home:
- It will only be 3 days a week (W/Th/F) from 8:45am-11:15am. For the same fees they actually provide preschool 5 days/wk, and this preschool is year round. Just because we are leery and seeing how this will be a dramatic change for Jocelyn (and for mama), we are starting with only 3 days/wk.
- It will be at the exact same place Jocie has received her therapies over the last year and half which will help easy the transition.
- During those 3 days, Jocelyn will also receive her normal PT, OT and SLP.
- Every six weeks, for a six week period, Jocelyn will get one-on-one swimming in their indoor pool with her classmates.
- Jocelyn has no other siblings for continual interaction, and this particular preschool will offer peer models as it contains children 2 1/2 to 5 years-old.
- And finally, it will give us a chance to trust someone else with the care and education of Jocelyn.
That last reason is a biggie for me! I hate that I don't automatically trust people with Jocelyn, but I'm her mama, no one loves her more than I do, and I still sometimes have to step back, take a deep breath and then approach things differently. Its a lot of hard work taking care of Jocelyn in regards to patience and even physically. So if I get tired or frustrated, I know someone else will too and maybe even more so, which of course is always a worry. However, I also know there is a very good chance that Jocelyn may perform more, or better for someone else, and maybe ... just maybe ... watching and seeing what other kids are doing might inspire Jocelyn to do the same.
Oh and WOOHOO! for us -- in a past blog entry called Busy, Busy, Busy -- I talked about taking Jocelyn to see an Endocrinologist. Well, both the x-ray and lab results came back within normal limits!!!! Yahoo! So it looks like no beginning of precocious puberty for us! So thankful!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------UPDATE:
The cupcake pot pies turned out INCREDIBLE!!! I made half with crescent rolls and half with flaky biscuits. I thought the crescent roll ones were divine and Justin preferred the biscuit ones. Seriously people -- these are the most amazing things I've made and eaten in a long, long time!!! You've gotta try them. The proclamation that these are fast and easy to make was indeed correct. They are actually filled with healthy ingredients too so that's a perk! Oh and the apple pie? It got served with drizzled caramel and a scoop of vanilla ice cream! Tonight's been a delicious night and calorie free! Well, I'm pretending its calorie free -- who cares anyways? :)

Wow preschool! And I would not say "finally!" she is going to preschool. We haven't even thought of it. And we have never had anyone besides family watch our kids - ever. So you are ahead of the game compared to us! :)
ReplyDeleteIt's so great that you can do it through an Easter Seals program. I am sure it is a relief because you know they are experienced people who will know what they are doing when it comes to Jocie's needs. Plus she can get therapy there?! Awesome!!
I am sure it will be hard to drop her off that first day, (and maybe a few of the next days too) but I am positive you are going to thrive having some much-needed time to yourself for a change. And I am sure Jocie will learn a lot from being around other kids her age.
This sounds like a great thing for your family!! :)
You know what YAY for princess Jocelyn and for you! This is a "normal " rite of passage for most kids and their parents. Once she (and you) adjusts she's gonna love it. Kids naturally want to be with other kids. and I bet she comes home with all kinds of new skills some you'll want some maybe not so much hehehe! 2 of the little girls I watch are old enough for pre school. One of then has autism and she could get hers for free thru her early intervention programs , but her sister, who doesn't have any disabilities can't go there and they were both upset first to be separated. They are only a month apart in age. One of then is adopted and mom and dad went from we've matched you with a child. To congratulations your pregnant in the the space of 4 weeks. So now they have 2 almost the same age. Regular preschool programs are insanely expensive So I reached back into my bag of tricks and told them I would dust off my preschool teacher hat so they could both start school together. I taught preschool in another life. We start next week too cause it took that long to get approval for Meghan's therapist to come here and work with her. Oi red tape. I hope you'll take pictures to share. Also if you and Joce would like a pen pal let me know. One of the things I do with the toddlers I watch is write back and forth with some kids there age. Its fun for them to learn about the mail and exchange pictures they draw and color. For me it's great to get something in the mail that isn't bills. We'd be glad to include you & Jocelyn if you'd like
ReplyDeletePS those pot pies look AWESOME I live in Lancaster County PA where the only pot pie isn't really a pie at all ick!!
Laura