Friday, September 14, 2012

Busy, Busy, Busy

Or at least that is how this mama feels lately.

I'm thinking this is our norm!

Jocelyn and I got down and messy with our first Fall craft this week. On the agenda -- Leaf Coffee Filter Tie-dyes. I'm finding that Boogie hates most all crafts or "learning-type" things we do, but I still keep at it in hopes she's learning and that eventually we will find something she actually enjoys.
 
This activity she enjoyed!! -- well, mostly!
She had absolutely no hesitation with diving right into the paint this time which really surprised me, and not to mention it was going everywhere because she was getting crazy with it. Apparently I watered the paint down too much. As you can see, she was also "tasting" the paint like she does food ... thank goodness for non-toxic! Oh and do you see that? She was getting BOTH hands all paint-ah-fied!

I liked this craft because you only needed coffee filters, watered down Crayola fingerpaints, some computer printed leaf stencils for tracing (that's if you are like me and can't draw) and a good place to get messy.

Here was how her coffee filters turned out after drying, and then I cut them into leaf shapes for her.
Jocelyn makes such good pretties!

In other news, we had an initial appointment with an Endocrinologist yesterday at Children's Mercy. There is nothing scary going on with Jocelyn (thank you Lord), but she has been having really strong body odor for several months now. However, since using Lafes, Jocelyn smells just as clean as she is beautiful! Woohoo for a natural product that works!! But because of the amount of trauma Jocelyn received to her brain after birth, her chances of incurring precocious puberty is greatly increased. The major signs of this happening would be breast development, pubic or underarm hair and so forth. In my opinion these are late signs. Another sign would be strong body odor which has already been occurring. I'm not in the business of waiting and I've learned the hard way to listen to my inner voice, so I asked to have things checked out early. As far as the physical examination, the physician was pleased, but we went ahead and did an x-ray of her hand (to check for increased bone maturation) and some lab work. With the aid of the app called Sparkabilities on the iPad, Jocelyn barely even winced with the lab draw. She's insanely tough! Sometime next week we should find out the good news that all is well and to keep using the Lafes when needed. I can live with that.

Today we traveled to Salina again to see our ICD team. We got to pick up Jocelyn's new DAFO's, have her wheelchair adjusted to accommodate her lovely hearty thighs, and as an added bonus, although it is technically too big for Jocelyn, we were allowed to take home a KidWalker so we can practice with it and decide if we want one.

This time for Jocelyn's DAFO's, we selected a rear-entry floor reactor boot with a blue jean design, purple padding/velcro, and a fun "kids" strap across the ankle. They look HUGE ... because they are! We will have to see if they work, and hopefully they will, so that we wont have to make new ones.
When daddy came home this evening he got to see Jocelyn trying the KidWalker demo out on the driveway. He's her second biggest cheerleader ... okay, maybe its a tie between the two of us!
There's always some kind of adventure we are on and it keeps going as far as I can see.

Tomorrow? Hippotherapy

... and this will be the first time after taking over a month off! Hopefully Jocelyn will be able to ride, and ride well, despite her loss in head control. I'm sure this weekend will be filled with fun stuff! Sleep well guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment