Monday, September 3, 2012

Bobby

On Sunday, August 19th, we adopted a dog that was a male grey hound/shepherd mix named Bobby from Prairie Paws Animal Shelter in Ottawa, KS. We looked at several other shelters in Topeka and Lawrence, then made the even longer trip to Ottawa, which of course was where we found our lover of a beast.

Bobby had a previous owner who taught him well, but do to financial reasons, they had to move into an apartment and the apartment that they could afford wouldn't allow pets. We've been there before and understand how difficult it is to give away a family member. Several years ago we had to give away our sweet Tabby cat named Mr. Bigglesworth, and sometimes you are just forced to ensure they have a new or better home.

Here was my baby before I had our little Jocie-Bear.
Because of Bobby's last family, he already knew how to sit, lay, shake with both hands and was exceptionally well potty trained.

Isn't he the cutest? The color of his fur was really cool and he was actually hard to see when laying on the rug in the livingroom.
We have had our bout with Bobby being destructive, and his worse occurrence was when he chewed up Jocelyn's DAFO boots. For those of you who don't know what DAFO's are, they are special boots that Jocelyn wears in an attempt to keep her feet and ankles properly aligned and prevent contractures. Seeing how these cost at least $2,000 for one pair...I literally thought I would kill him! He knew the second I found those DAFO's, and said his name, that he was in trouble. No sooner did I say his name did he take off with his tail tucked and head down which of course made me feel bad for even getting mad. Poor pooch!

Other upsets we had were a destroyed garage door, shredded blankets, torn up garden, lots of holes in the yard and one terrified little girl.

Bobby was as gentle as a big dog could be and would give her kisses, but Jocelyn was terrified of him and she was constantly upset whenever he would even get close to her. He was a big time smoocher, and craved both attention and love. Another battle besides Jocelyn was apparently we are gone quite a bit because of our therapy and doctor appointments and with Justin's work schedule. The shelter was not aware of this, but Bobby has extreme separation anxiety. We tried putting him in different rooms, a kennel, outside...anywhere and everywhere...and he was always so upset and definitely destructive. 

Now, its been greater than a decade since either Justin nor I have had a dog of our own and there are many things that we have forgotten. Unfortunately, because of what Bobby's been through, we think being left alone was so much worse for him. It was absolutely heartbreaking, but we took him back to the shelter because we felt that we couldn't come close to providing what he needed. I know, many of you are shaking your head at use or disappointed in our decision, but we felt it was worse to keep him if it was a terrible fit for all of us. We are not in the business of doing something like this, its been a new experience for us all, and Jocelyn is just not ready in the slightest.

The shelter informed us that there was doggy Prozac and other things we could try, but we just really already have our hands so full with simply taking care of Jocelyn, and adding a dog that requires special treatment just wasn't going to work in our life right now.

While we had him in our care, we provided a tremendous amount of love, fun and treats so we know he got spoiled as much as we could. Taking him back was very difficult so this is all I'm going to say about this right now because it still makes me very sad that he couldn't be a permanent member of our family.

5 comments:

  1. Its always hard to say Goodbye, but....you choose well from a rescue center...the best way to get an animal is to rescue it....sometimes it is not a good fit especially with an older animal and such a young family....It is ok, you are not the first person to return an animal and you will not be the last... in the mean time Hugs to you and thank you for tying....you are a great Mommy and I love and miss you already….. Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're right ... we aren't the 1st and won't be the last! Just makes you feel like crap but at least we tried?

      Delete
  2. I am sorry Bobby didn't work out for your family. It's hard not to feel guilty.

    We have been there recently:
    We adopted a dog (Murphy) back last November. Our dog Willie was most likely stolen from my parent's house when we were at a wedding last September and we were heartbroken about it, but decided to try and get another dog. He was little, which we wanted. On paper he seemed like he would be a great dog, but we got him at 6 months old and he wasn't potty trained yet. And apparently it was for a good reason. We spent 5 HORRIBLE months trying to potty train him. He was white and would pee all over himself no matter what we did. So we were giving him multiple baths a day. I took him out to pee like every 30 minutes. I had him on a leash at my side at all times so he couldn't sneak away and pee. He would do it anyway if I turned my head the other direction! We tried everything, even got him fixed thinking that might help. Finally when we found out we were moving, we knew we couldn't bring him to my sister's house to destroy her carpet and I finally had to admit defeat. I was getting so angry with him because I wanted him to be a part of the family and he just wasn't getting it. We took him to a no-kill shelter and when Jared called back to check on him the next day, we found out he had been adopted out within a matter of hours. So hopefully that person had more luck and he found a good home.

    I felt guilty and like I failed. But I didn't feel sad or miss him. So I know we made the right decision. It sounds like you guys did what was right for you. This one sounded very needy of attention and high energy. You guys need an older lap dog. :) Hopefully if you ever adopt again, the shelter can try and match you better with a dog that would fit your lifestyle better (And doesn't destroy $2000 shoes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS hard to not feel guilty! I feel less guilty considering how he found and destroyed J's shoes. Thank goodness it was nothing more though.

      I couldn't imagine how that must have felt to loose your baby!! I takes a special kind of terrible person to steal another persons dog. Sorry honey -- not sure you will get totally over that.

      Murphy sounded like a nightmare!!!! To try for that long and that hard with no success ... I praise you guys for that! Its sweet that Jared called to check up on him. He mustve been cute to get adopted so quickly. Yay for that! Maybe one day we'll both find the perfect 4-legged family member??

      Delete
    2. Let's hope so! It will probably be sooner rather than later. Bailey has already started saying "I want a puppy." (Jared is probably coaching her behind my back!) We miss having a dog, but we are wanting to wait to make sure it is the right one for us.

      The sad part is that it is so hard to adopt from a shelter. When you bring your kids there, they will never tell you whether or not the dog is good with kids. I think it is a liability thing. They always are like "well we can't say for sure" about all of them! Like, how are we supposed to pick one out then??! We will probably end up going the puppy route just so we can train them to be good with our kids from day one I guess. Although I a NOT a fan of the puppy stage!

      And Murphy was pretty cute. I am just wondering if he got returned again to the shelter! ha (Okay, I hope not for his sake, but I am not betting against it...)

      Delete