Yesterday, through the mounds of tears, I had a true revelation of my heart.
It's probably been a long time coming and I'm not one (I don't think so anyways) to just spat out everything I'm thinking and feeling in regards to me and my life (not the deep down stuff anyways), but I know if I don't write this out and be honest, I will be able to cover my heart with false lies, justifications or simply not entertain what my soul is trying to tell me.
I was cozy in the recliner watching an episode of LifeCoach on the OWN channel (first time I watched this show) while Jocelyn slept peacefully on me. Truthfully, I was hoping it would be so boring that I too would fall asleep. Wrong answer. Instead, I found myself crying nearly uncontrollably about the reality of how I felt about our situation ... my life ... my future.
There is no doubt that Jocelyn is my world, my love, my life. I have never known love like the love I have for our baby girl. She is nothing short of miraculous! Even though I would give everything for her, it comes with a price. In a sense, I feel like I have given everything for her ... my entire life. In some form or another, all parents sacrifice their "old" or "future" life. Sometimes the reality of the sacrifice being given can harbour some sadness or even resentment. Your ideal life, and the reality of your true life, often doesn't match up. When you feel like there are more withdrawals from your life than the deposits you receive, its difficult to keep giving ... keep pushing forward ... and right now, the withdrawals in my life far out weight the deposits.
There is so much fear in my heart when it comes to Jocelyn. Sometimes I fear that we will lose her far too early and yet other times my fear shifts to her out-living us. That is what is suppose to happen ... children are suppose to out-live their parents. In our case though, I fear what that could mean for Jocelyn. You see, I'm looking at her right now, with all the "needs" she has, and trying to project what things will look like in the future, yet I truly have no idea. What I have to go off of is the fact that I can guess what they would look like if we can't seem to move forward or progress.
When Jocelyn was first born, I think Justin and I were consumed with fear ... so much was unknown. Life is always like that though isn't it? But once we were able to bring our angel home, we felt peace and hope. That first year of her life was definitely a honeymoon phase for us. We were ecstatic to have her home, waking up to her each day, falling asleep knowing she was with us, that she was eating, thriving and happy. As the additional weeks, months and year have carried on, that honeymoon phase has somewhat worn off. What I mean by that, is that reality has set in more. The reality that Jocelyn has far greater problems than you can possibly foresee in the beginning. I sometimes will say "it only takes one choking experience ... or a car wreck ... and anyone could be in this situation." Although true, I think sometimes I say these things to remind myself that this really could happen to anyone, like I need to hear that or something, that there are no guarantees, but in reality, it does not bring much comfort.
We've always been a step ahead of the game when its came to getting Jocelyn the diagnoses needed so we could get the necessary therapies and equipment to help her succeed. We quickly accepted her diagnosis on paper, jumped right in with routine therapy sessions, learned all we could, etc. But what didn't happen, was being able to step back and truly SEE the situation and how our life as individuals, as a couple, as a family ... would be so different than the typical family.
This is when fear easily swoops in like a thief in the night to rob you from anything good you are holding onto.
I have realized that by holding on to the fear, I will never ... NEVER ... be able to move forward as a mother, wife and an individual. Fear is so paralyzing, a stripper of joy and happiness, and a deceitful liar! God made us to be warriors and victorious!!
I am ashamed to admit that at times I wish I could just run away from it all ... pretend we didn't have all these problems and such a hard, different life. That I could pretend this was not my life. Sounds horrible doesn't it? But I think there are many that feel this way too but the guilt of feeling this way is often more than we want to share with anyone. Who wants to feel judged in your most raw moments ... no one. How can you love your husband and daughter SO MUCH and still think such things? Then something occurred to me. Sometimes it is our past that also makes us fearful.
You see, I think I feel even more remorse for having feelings like this at times because this is exactly what my birth mother did to me, my brothers and father. The fact that she was able to walk away from her family and never look back is proof that a person can do that. Does she feel remorse and pain? Perhaps. I thought a long time ago I had forgiven her but I don't think I have. I have always said "I forgive her but still want nothing to do with her." The reality is that I have the ability to forget and I think I've always viewed that as forgiveness. I have come to the conclusion that this is often the reason I can "get over things" so easily ... I just don't think about them ... or ... simply forget. But forgetting and forgiving are two totally different things. I'm fearful that I will become just the same terrible, awful mother that she was to me. Despite that I was given a spectacular mother to raise me and set the example I needed, something deep down feels like I've inherited my birth mother's bad traits, like they have been infused into me, so I fight those bad thoughts I have even more instead of facing them head on and not being ashamed.
In my heart and mind, I know that I am a great mother to Jocelyn, but your feelings can be deceiving. I've decided that since I've realized that feelings come and go so easily, I will demand my feelings to obey my heart and mind. No longer will I be a slave to fleeting emotions because they come and go in an instant, and they will not dictate the way I act and respond. I don't have to "feel" a certain way to know the truth of my heart. My "self-talk" will be one of truthfulness and positivity. I might not always be able to control how I feel, but I can chose how I self-talk.
I was sharing with Justin that until yesterday I didn't realize that I was sad and maybe disappointed that we would not be having any further children. There was a time in my life when I never wanted kids, but that was before meeting Justin. In the early stages when I was pregnant with Jocelyn, I remember thinking "yep, can't wait to do this at least another 2 or 3 more times." Don't get me wrong, Justin and I could have more children, but we won't, as we both feel it would take so much away from what is necessary to give to Jocelyn. She might love having a brother or sister, but we are not prepared to add another child into our family. We feel like it'd just be too much.
Even though I was brought to tears yesterday, it was good for the soul and I was actually able to put thoughts and words to what has been eating away at me, which something I haven't been able to do for quite some time. Sometimes its really difficult to know what is going on inside you, why you think a certain way or respond things.
I hope no matter what all of you are going through, that you truly do know that others have been there, and realize that there are others that have already pushed past that storm to the other side. I've realized that I am trying to reap and sow at the same time. I want to see the pay off for all the effort that I am putting into Jocelyn NOW!!
What's that saying "we want to eat our supper for breakfast?" Meaning, we often want now what is meant for at the end of our lives. If we have what is meant for the end of our lives now, what will be have at the end? I will continue to sow in our daughter, my husband, my family and friends because I believe the harvest will be plentiful. Sometimes its hard to believe that, but I know the promise God has given me ... given us!
you are an AMAZING mother Angie.. its shown in everything you do daily.. all the growth Jocelyn has made and the joy/smiles she radiates daily.. YOU ARE NOT YOUR BIRTH MOTHER!! and you will never be! i know how hard it is to get over things from your past. forgiveness is hard. forgetting or ignoring more like is easier it seems. but one day it always comes back. if i could tell you how to get past the hurt i would in a heart beat, but truth is i deal with the same every day. but i remember those people aren't a part of my present or my future.. they are apart of my past and thats exactly where they will stay! Jocelyn is truly blessed to have you as her mommy.. God definitely knew what he was doing there ;) not to mention im truly to blessed to have you as my sister. i <3 you more than you know!
ReplyDeleteThank you sissy! I know I'm not like her ... I know that. I do think that sometimes we think and feel certain ways about things because of our pasts, and her need for abandonment still rings loud and clear. Which only further reminds me of how well I turned out without her.
DeleteLooking to the past, whether it be good or bad things, tends to prevent moving forward. Its easy to look at how wonderful things "use" to be and long for the simplicity of a past life, but then you miss out on all the wonderful things presently happening or to come. Likewise, I've noticed its easy look at how awful something was and it still have a grip on your life. I love that the past gives so much hindsight...hindsights 20/20 right? :)
And I'm super blessed to have you as my sister too! Love you!!!
Oh Angie... I think there was something in the air yesterday that gave us all the big-time mommy blues. I was also a hot mess and I am carrying much less worry on my shoulders than you are. HUGS! It's days like today when I wish we all lived closer so we could get together and laugh and forget about life for a little while...
ReplyDeleteYou are a great mom. I truly do believe God picked you to be Jocelyn's mom because He knew you wouldn't ever leave her. And you would do what is best for her. You were being brutally honest about feeling like you wish you could up and leave. But feeling and doing are vastly different things. We ALL want to just pack up and leave. Actually, I just told my sister that yesterday. Those exact words. "I want to just leave for 24 hours by myself and not tell a soul where I am." Don't feel guilty for being so absolutely normal.
And really - Oprah is always doing this kind of crap to me too! I sit down on the couch to waste away a few minutes and I am thrown into an emotion tailspin of revelation. Damn you Oprah!
I can truly, deeply relate to your writing about confusing forgiveness with forgetting. I have done the exact same thing. Without going into it too much, I was molested at the age of 7 by a family member. It was a long time ago, and I thought I had properly "dealt" with it. (Yeah right.) It wasn't until I was starting my first semester of the nursing program that the stress of everything just became too much and I had a complete shut-down. (Thank God for Jared.) I had convinced myself I was okay, but I obviously wasn't. Just not thinking about something doesn't make it go away. I don't know your particular situation at all, but I can relate to the emotions associated with wishing something would just vanish so you can go on with your life. I finally started to realize that I am the person I am today BECAUSE of what happened to me, not just in spite of it. I am sure that your experiences with your birth mother and then the amazing people in your life because of her absence have made you a better you.
Jocelyn is a blessing. She is blessing you in ways none of us can even see. I can't even pretend to understand the burden your heart feels, but just know that I say prayers for you all the time. Not that Jocelyn just ups and walks and talks tomorrow out of the blue (although, hey, that would be amazing!), but that you and Justin have patience in a tough time or feel God's presence or that you guys just have a great day together. Many people are rooting for you Angie. ♥
Oh Vanessa!! Sigh...it would have been WONDERFUL to have been together yesterday. Although, we probably would've been balling hot messes for sure!! It's nice knowing I'm not the only one that wishes to disappear sometimes. Once I got over feeling guilty about it and like I was thinking like my birth mother, I realized that I think a lot of women, mothers, whoever...often wish for the same thing.
DeleteThank you for trusting me enough to share about your molestation. Guess we have one more thing in common. I'm starting to think nearly all little girls (and maybe boys) get messed around with and it makes me physically ill. I'm so very sorry that happened to you. I wish it never would’ve happened to you. I think even when you "deal" with it ... sometimes it just rears its ugly head at the most opportune time. I might have considered...might...a relationship with my birth mother, but she continues to be married to a disgusting pervert of a man, even after I put him in prison for several years. Some “mother” right? She will never have the right to call me her daughter, but I appreciate the donor egg.
You have no idea how much your prayers mean to me ... thank you so much!! It would be amazingly fantastic if J could just jump up and be mobile, but my prayers of course go so much more deep than that. You are such a wonderful friend!!
Your sister is 100% correct Not to mention, that you know this is normal right?? I mean I'm not a parent yet. I've just began to think about adopting a child. Having a disability myself I want a child who has some struggles too. I'm elated and scared to death at the same time. My family isn't speaking to me because they disagree with this choice. But God put it on my heart to do so that's what I'm going to do. I bring this up because my parents have told me a bit about how they felt when I was diagnosed. In an effort to disuade me from my plans I guess but it rings no less true Its totally normal for you to grieve your old life and the life you thought you'd have before you met Jocelyn. I doesn't mean you love her any less. It's even normal for you to think about ditching it all and finding a nice beach to lie on. I doesn't mean you will. My parents tell me that when you find out your child has disabilities it's like a death. A death of a dream. So after a while you get a new and different dream that you didn't know you wanted. I can tell you that even I as an adult with CP mourn what might have been some days had I not been born with CP. There are certain things I will likely never do. FOr instance, I will likely never drive. I will likely never be a music theater performer. I entered college wanting that more the anything. Working a ft 40 hr a week job is probably not in the cards at this point either. Because I have limitations that make me seem to most unemployable. That is the one I struggle with the most. But I do run a small business training dogs and another babysitting kids so I can work in a something I can do and that helps me to contribute. You were meant to have Jocelyn so you can teach her all that she is capable of and so that she can teach you that there's so much more ability that we all have the we never tap into. As long as you keep giving her the opportunity she will surprise you. It's true that it may not be the way you thought in the beginning but it will be just as awesome I promise Never feel bad about sharing or having these feelings. It's part of the larger jouney
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad we met! And yea, I know in my head its normal but my heart often hurts for feeling this way. I know we don't know each other very well, but I applaud you for following your heart and what God wants from you. Not everyone has a heart for adoption. It's hard for our parents or family members to understand certain choices, but if they are not called for something like this, then again, its misunderstood. Being the parent of special needs child, I can see their fear for you. How hard life can be for you already, how much you struggle for the normalcy in life that so many of us take for granted. I'm sure they see that you already have "enough" to deal with, but yet a child ... one that you could guide, LOVE and care for ... can bring a whole different list of beauty as well.
DeleteYour parents are right, having a disability or a child with one, is in a sense "a death of a dream." I often see commercials or in real life, with kids helping with baking, jumping in the leaves, chasing the ducks at park, begging for more of something ... talking, eating … the list goes on and on ... but these are not a reality for us … at least definitely not right now. But new dreams are being made ... I will ensure that!
I wish things were different for you. That you could have your dream of being a performer (I'm sure you'd be incredible!) and even of having a 40hr/wk job...something many complain about!! You might not have those things, but you being YOU, has already changed my life. Thank you for that and the continued encouragement!!